Supplemental Life Insurance
MetLife is the life insurance carrier for Georgetown University. Life and accident insurance can provide financial security for your beneficiaries in the event of your terminal illness or death. The Supplemental Life Insurance Plan is a voluntary, employee-paid group term life insurance plan in which you can choose to participate to supplement your Georgetown-provided life insurance. Enhanced features offered by MetLife include free will preparation service.
- Benefit Amount
- Evidence of Insurability Requirements
- Effective Date
- Beneficiary Designation
- Claims and Appeals Procedure
- Contact Information
- An active faculty or academic administrative professional (AAP) hired to work at least 75% time.
- An active staff member, including those represented by Allied International Union or 1199 SEIU, working 30 hours or more per week.
You may enroll in this plan within the first 30 days of your employment at Georgetown Univeristy, or during Open Enrollment (October 15 - November 15). Changes in your coverage can be requested during Open Enrollment.
You may purchase supplemental coverage of 1 – 5 times your annual salary. If the coverage amount is not a multiple of $1,000, then it is rounded to the next higher multiple of $1,000. The maximum election is the lesser of 5 times your salary or $1,000,000.
MetLife offers an online calculator to help you assess your insurance needs.
When you are first hired the EOI requirements are as follows:
- No EOI required: If your total election does not exceed $500,000.
- Standard EOI: If your total election exceeds $500,000, you must complete a Statement of Health form and forward it directly to MetLife.
During Open Enrollment, the following EOI requirements will apply:
- Standard EOI: Those electing increased coverage or enrolling for the first time will be required to provide MetLife with a completed Statement of Health and /or medical examination results.
Your cost will be deducted from your pay on an after-tax basis. Georgetown is pleased to provide you competitive group rates for your supplemental insurance. These rates are based on age attained as of January 1. You pay the entire premium for this plan. Please note that premiums are calculated based on your salary as of September 1, but benefits are paid based on salary at the time the loss is incurred.
You may refer to the table below to determine your rate per $1000 of coverage. You may also use this Supplemental Life Insurance Cost Calculator to see your montly cost.
*Automatic Benefit Reduction Clause
At age 65, there is an automatic reduction of 35% of the face value of the additional coverage purchased by and for active employees. There is a corresponding reduction made in the employee's premium. Benefits are further reduced by 15% of the original (i.e., unreduced) face amount at age 70 for active employees. One again, the corresponding employee premiums are reduced.
It is critical for all employees to designate a beneficiary in a timely manner. You may make this designation online through Employee Access+. You should remember to keep your designation current as situations in your life change (marriage, divorce, gaining dependents, etc.).