Dependent Life Insurance
MetLife is the life insurance carrier for Georgetown University. Life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance can provide financial security for your beneficiaries in the event of your terminal illness or death. The Dependent Life Insurance Plan is a voluntary, employee-paid group term life insurance plan in which you can elect coverage for your eligible dependents.
- Benefit Amount
- Evidence of Insurability Requirements
- Effective Date
- Claims and Appeals Procedure
- Contact Information
- A staff employee (including members of the Allied International Union and SEIU 1199) hired to work 30 or more hours per week;
- An academic employee (AAP or faculty) hired to work at least 75% time
For Spouse Life Coverage: You must participate in the Supplemental Life Plan in order to elect Spouse Life Insurance coverage.
For Child Life Coverage: Eligible dependent children must be ages 15 days up to 23 years old, or 25 years old if a child is a full-time student. You need not participate in the Supplemental Life Plan to elect Child Life.
You may enroll in this plan within the first 30 days of your employment at Georgetown Univeristy, or during Open Enrollment (October 15 - November 15). Changes in coverage can be requested during Open Enrollment.
Spouse Life coverage options are: $10,000, $30,000, $50,000, $100,000, $150,000, $200,000 or $250,000
The Dependent Spouse Life amount is dependent upon the approval of the Employee Supplemental Life coverage. The Dependent Spouse life coverage shall not exceed 50% of the Employee Supplemental Life election, and will be rounded down to the closest coverage option.
Example: A staff member earning an annual salary of $40,000 elects supplmental life coverage twice their salary, or $80,000. This individual can now elect spouse life coverage, but it may not exceed 50% of their supplemental election, or $40,000. The closest coverage option in this case is $30,000.
The Dependent Child coverage options are: $5,000 or $10,000
Evidence of Insurability (EOI) Requirements
For Spouse Life
When you are first hired the EOI requirements are as follows:
- No EOI required: If coverage does not exceed $30,000.
- Standard EOI: For amounts above $30,000 you must complete a Statement of Health form and forward it directly to MetLife.
During Open Enrollment, the following EOI requirements apply:
- Standard EOI: Those electing increased coverage, or enrolling for the first time, will be required to provide MetLife with a completed Statement of Health and /or medical examination results.
For Child Life: There are no EOI requirements when electing this coverage.
$5,000 coverage = $0.75/month
$10,000 coverage= $1.50/month
For those hired on, or after, January 1, 2008, should you elect dependent life insurance, your coverage is effective retroactive to your date of hire.